Thursday, May 19, 2011

Foot Care in the cold

This past January 2011 we took a trip to Palo Duro Canyon in the panhandle of Texas.  The temperature was around 16 degrees and there was a fire ban on anything that did not have an on and off switch.
I did all of my usual prep by bringing extra batteries, layering my clothes, and bringing lots of extra meds and meters.  The one thing I had to watch was the cold and my electronics.  Since I usually use my Omnipod in the winter this trip I brought it but decided on my Animas IR 1200 because the cold would not allow the meter part of the Pod system to work.  So I knew that I could keep the Animas cold in my layered pants.  I also figured I could use some hand and feet warmers to keep a meter from freezing.



We hiked the 3 mile lighthouse trail and saw the amazing sites.

When it came to sleeping at night I had the great idea of layering my usual Texas winter bag which is a barrel bag I received as a kid but works to about 40 degrees.  I then added my summer bag which is a 50 degree square bag.  The part I got real smart was to tuck a foot warmer in my socks so my feet would stay warm in the night.

http://campfish.net/sleepingbags.php


Well of course the genius I am, did not read the warning label on the feet warmers which states:  Do not use while sleeping or if you are a diabetic.  When I got home from the trip I had a real nice ulcer on top of one foot where the foot warmer was.  I then proceeded to call my Podiatrist (Which is a scouter as well) and let him know what I did.  He let me know to use from now on a GOOD pair of Merino wool socks and even use a pair of silk liners since I am a diabetic.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19973

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68170

The lesson boys and girls is to read all warning labels, consult your physician when camping in extreme climates, and always buy quality shoes and socks.

The trip was good and I would visit Palo Duro canyon again for sure.  We saw lots of bikers, joggers, and walkers on the trail.

http://palodurocanyon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment