Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Lower Carb Homestyle Breakfast

 I know the pictures do no do this meal much eye pleasure but the taste was out of this world.  This meal will definitely make it to my list of breakfasts to cook on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  Remember me telling everyone about a couple of classes I am teaching on January 7th?  The classes are outdoor cooking A to Z (one hour class) and also Dutch oven cooking (another one hour class).  Since I am a diabetic there will be healthier foods than normally prepared out of a dutch oven. 
This meal here is simply one pound cooked sausage, I used a maple sausage and it gave the meal a nice sweet flavor to it.  Then it was six eggs, half a cup of cheese, and eight pieces of bread, and alot of milk (I can't remember how much).  Now that is half of what the meal actually called for but, since this was for a family of three I did not want to eat four eggs and a half loaf of bread for breakfast.  The instructions call for just putting a layer of bread down, then sausage, the egg, and last some of the cheese.  This layering method made two layers and I put just three whole pieces of bread down and broke up the fourth piece and placed it in the cracks.  Now I say this is a lower carb because you are only eating a slice or two of bread and with the cheese you can use as much or as little as you want. 

The great thing about his meal is that you can add or subtract ingredients along the way.  Next time I will probably put in some onion and peppers and play around with some salsa or chipotle sauces.  Kind of make a breakfast lasagna.  The last is something like cook it at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a fork comes out clean.

The flavor is kind of like a keish, french toast, scrambled egg, homestyle thing.  It was so good I had seconds and it did not give me any sort of off the wall highs after eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment