Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Yoga Doggie Style

 This past Saturday I hosted my first Dawn Phenom event and even though we did not have the best participation it was a ton of fun had by all.  We did a nice run down a local trail system that has well over 20 miles of connected continuous wide lane trails.  I did a solid 8 miles then as the rest went on I saw a group doing some exercises that I thought to leech on and join.
 I see these people in a field doing some yoga and since I just ran eight miles it seemed like a good time to join them.  The good thing about being a social butterfly that I am and having the abilities of a leech to join in I grabbed some grass and went straight into plank with the rest of the group.  We did a few yoga things, something like downward diabetes thing, and warrior insulin pump other thing, then the group broke out their dogs and did obedience training.
 Come to find out this was a yoga-dog training class and they mixed in yoga, obedience, and circuit training.  I was so jealous of the rest of the class and wanted to have my little hellions, I mean dogs with me to get in a good workout with the pups along my side.  Once the class was over the instructor was nice and let me know they meet there every Saturday at 9:00am and I was more than welcome to come next time with my dogs and we got into a discussion about diabetes and he let me know about a friend of his that their son was just diagnosed with type 1 (the bad kind) sugar diabetes and I just felt so bad.  I never like hearing about anyone coming down with this damned disease and he let me know that the boy was the only diabetic in his school as well.  That totally reminded me of my school days where I was the only freak that could not eat candy and had to leave in the middle of class to get a freaking peanut butter and cracker snack every day and write it down.  School was about the most depressing thing for my diabetes and I felt like the stupidest kid that couldn't eat candy.  Why couldn't I have one of those designer diseases where you lose your hair, have seizures, body deformities, but no I just cant process sugars and that  sucked.  OK, so back to my day and we talked and I told him about www.insulindependence.org and how he needed to get this kid with us so that he could feel normal and hang out with others that know how to properly duct tape snicker bars to your inner thighs just so you can sneak them past the "you shouldn't be eating that police."
Since we were next to a dog park others came by with their dogs and the teacher was so nice to work with them and the other participants joined in and everyone was like family.  I felt at home with this group and am going to have to do a future dawn phenom event with these people.  Don't you just love it when a day is so perfect and everyone is nice and the dogs let you pet them and to top it off you get some good exercise with good people.  Sometimes having diabetes puts you in the right place, at the right time, with the right people.

No comments:

Post a Comment