Monday, February 3, 2014

What my friend Vic must have been going through.

My good friend Vic lives in Atlanta and recently they had the ice storm to end all ice storms.  Now Vic is a type 1 diabetic like many other people that peruse through this blog every now and then and like most type 1 diabetics he has a plan of attack for anything and is prepared for any emergency.  So with this in mind during the Atlanta ice storm to end all ice storms I didn't worry one bit about Vic, because I knew he was good.  The thing I did worry about Vic and also what I was tired of hearing about were the other 99% of this country that thinks they are not responsible for themselves and the government is their backup.  I watch the national news every night with Brian Williams, and during the ice storm that was to end all ice storms they interviewed all sorts of people that were stuck on the roads for several hours and I kept hearing the same theme over and over.  They kept saying how they had to survive with like only a single bottle of water, or how they only had a quarter tank of gas, and the best was how the government didn't know and couldn't come out and de-ice the roads for them or bring them a cup of coffee and donut.  This is so annoying for people like you and I that plan, prepare, and protect ourselves by keeping snacks on us or plenty of water.  I can't believe that all these people can't throw two cans of tuna in their trunk, a couple of old blankets, and a gallon of water in their trunk.  Not to say a first aid kit, fire starter, and some rope doesn't go along way as well.  Think about it, like twenty bucks worth of random rations in your vehicle can turn this sitting on the highway stuck in the ice from a near death experience to a funny story about doing some quality white trash camping on the highway or something.  I felt so sorry for Vic because I am sure the random people of Atlanta are still blaming the city for not packing their cars for them in the morning or forcing them to stay home and stuff.  What I have is a winter kit for my truck and a summer kit for my truck.  The winter kit has sleeping bag, hand warmers, spare clothes, and other stuff I can't exactly remember now.  Then the summer kit has sunscreen, bug spray, and other things in it.  Then I keep standard in the car water, flashlights, batteries, fire starter, backup medical gear (not insulin), candy, tool kit, MRE's and much more.  So go out tonight and check your cars trunk and if you are low on any supplies just toss them in and be ready for the next ice storm to end all ice storms.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. Bless Atlanta as they deal again. I got stuck out in the extreme snowfall two Sundays ago..and it was SCARY!! It was fine before church, then DANGEROUS!! Good post.

    ReplyDelete